28 October 2007

Family Tree

This is a bare-bones version of the family tree, tracing the Harrington part of my direct lineal ancestors, starting with my parents and going back as far as I've been able to go. Hopefully, I'll be able to elaborate on this later on. Right now I just want to get down what I have in order to provide reference for the other material I'll be posting.


Robert E. Harrington m. Betty Williams

Edgar Harrington m. Betty Billett

Cleo Harrington m. Pauline Burket

John T. Harrington m. Elizabeth VanDine

Theophilus Harrington II m. Charlotte Mills

Theophilus Harrington (b. March 27, 1762 - d. November 18, 1813) m. Elizabeth 'Betsy' Buck (b. November 28, 1760 - d. Feruary 5, 1854)

James Harrington m. Mary Dwinell

John Harrington (b. 1694?) m. Sarah ?? (b. 1712)

Issac Harrington (b. 1668 in Providenc, RI - d. 1727 in Norwich, CT) m. Sarah (b. ?? - d. 1744)

Benjamin Harrington (b. 1650) m. Elizabeth White

John Harrington (b. 1575?) m. Ann Clinton (1596-1653)


  • John & Ann landed in Boston Harbor around 1630. John drowned in Boston Harbor shortly thereafter. Ann's father was Thomas Clinton (1571-1619), Third Earl of Lincoln. Ann died in Cambridge, MA on Christmas day, 1653. Her's is the oldest stone in Mount Auburn State Cemetery.

John Harrington (Writer, b. August 4, 1561-November 20, 1612) m. Mary Rogers on September 6, 1583, Cannington, Somersetshire, England.

  • John Harrington was godson of Queen Elizabeth I and was a prominent member of her court who fell in and out of favor with the Queen. He was knighted by Robert Devereaux, Earl of Essex. Inventor of a fore-runner to the modern flush toilet.

John Harrington (the poet, b. 1525 - d. 1582) m. first to Etheldreda Dyngley (natural daughter of King Henry VIII), then to Isabel Markham in 1554.

  • John's fist marriage produced no children as his wife died shortly after marriage, leaving him her full estate. Shortly after his marriage to Isabel Markham the couple were taken through the Traitor's Gate and imprisoned in the Tower of London with Princess Elizabeth.
  • His work:
    SONNET ON ISABELLA MARKHAM

    WHEN I FIRST THOUGHT HER FAIR, AS SHE STOOD AT THE PRINCESS'S WINDOW, IN GOODLY ATTIRE, AND TALKED TO DIVERS IN THE COURT-YARD.

    Whence comes my love? O heart, disclose;
    It was from cheeks that shamed the rose,
    From lips that spoil the ruby's praise,
    From eyes that mock the diamond's blaze:
    Whence comes my woe? as freely own;
    Ah me! 'twas from a heart like stone.


    The blushing cheek speaks modest mind,
    The lips befitting words most kind,
    The eye does tempt to love's desire,
    And seems to say, ''Tis Cupid's fire;'
    Yet all so fair but speak my moan,
    Since nought doth say the heart of stone.


    Why thus, my love, so kind bespeak
    Sweet eye, sweet lip, sweet blushing cheek
    Yet not a heart to save my pain;
    O Venus, take thy gifts again;
    Make not so fair to cause our moan,
    Or make a heart that's like our own.

Sir John Harrington of Exton, Rutland England m. Elizabeth Morton

  • Sir John Harrington was treasurer of the Army of King Henry VIII.

Sir John Harrington, Knight of Exton m. ___________

Robert Harrington (d. 1501) m. Maude Prisett

  • Robert served as Sherriff for the County of Rutland, 1490-1498.

John Harrington of Aldringham m. Catherine Colpepper

  • By this marriage, John acquired the Manor of Exton in Rutlandshire and fixed his residence there.

Robert Harrington of Aldringham (b. 1421) m. daughter of John de Laund

John Harrington of Aldringham (b. ?? - d. 1401) m. Agnes Flete, daughter of Laurence Flete

Robert Harrington of Aldringham (b. probably after 1307 - d. about 1334) m. Elizabeth Moulton

  • Robert died before his father and the Lordships and estates descended to his son, John. He was knighted in the King's service and died during the expedition of Ireland.

Sir John Harrington, Lord of Aldringham (b. about 1281 - d. July 2, 1347) m. Joan De Dacre

  • Lord Harrington, along with Prince Edward, was Knighted in 1306 by King Edward I. He was declared 1st Baron Harrington of Aldringham upon being summoned to Parlaiment in 1326, where he served until his death in 1347. The photo at right is the Harrington Tomb at Cartmel Priory, Cartmel, Lancashire, England.

Robert Harrington (b. before 1262 - d. 1297) m. Agnes Cansfield

  • Robert's surname was derived from Haverington, a Cumberland County, England Lordship which the family had been in possesion of since ancient times. Upon his marriage to Agnes, Robert acquired the Manor at Aldringham - which became the chief seat of the Harrington family.
    Researchers and archeologists believe that this particular Robert Harrington may also be known as "St. Bees Man". Click on his photo to read about it.

Michael De Haverington (b. about 1241 in Flemingby, England - d. ??) m. ____________

  • Flemingby is now known as the village of Flimby.

Thomas De Haverington (b. about 1215 in Flemingby, England - d. ??) m. ______________

Robert De Haverington of Haverington and Flemingby (b. before 1189 in Haverington, Cumberland, England - d. ?? at Flemingby Manor, England) m. Christiana

Oswolf (or Latin Osulphus)


I'm still doing research about Oswolf and there are some connections that I'd like to find documentation for, but this is what I have so far.

25 comments:

Rob said...

I have all my information at home... My grandfather is Robert (Bob) Edwards Harrington, Sr of Ludington. He married Wilda Agnes and had three kids, Robert (Bob) E Harrington Jr (My dad), Katherine (Kathy) Harrington (then Rackozy then ummm something else) and Mark Harrington. Mark died last this summer after a long illness.

Bob Jr married Carmel Hoare of Dublin Ireland (My mom) and his kids are Denise Ruth Harrington (now Riehle) currently living in Grayling, Karen Rae Harrington (then Harper, now Wolken) living in Leesburg Indiana and myself, Robert (Rob) Denis Harrington, currently residing in Indianapolis.

I married Amanda Pence and we have three kids... Caitlin Rose, Molly Amanda and Sean Denis.

My grandfather did all the geneology and it's in my garage... I know I have a clock on my mantel (Grandpa was a huge clock collector and started the clock museum at the state park in Ludington) from James Harrington circa 1860s. In any case we're tied to Theophilus Harrington too... so somewhere back we're related.

Teri said...

HOLY.......that's impressive.

I can't get past the last 1700's with my lines.

Dan said...

This is the same family line as mine. My grandfather was Robert Elroy Harrington of Aberdeen, Brown County South Dakota. His father was Elroy Harrington. My father was Ronald Aaron Harrington. My name is Daniel Robert Harrington. My 12 year old son is David Philip Harrington. feel free to email me at drjohnson@ole.augie.edu

Anonymous said...

robin gordon here -
thank you for the concise info-
my father benny herrington, elza benard herrington, fredrick herrington,darling herrington, darling herrington,samuel, william, charles,john herrington (mary rogers), thomas (mary whitmel), thomas (sarah mason), thomas (and ana), edward, john and mary rogers, john and isabella, and you got the rest :o) the bee man though i think has had an update.... much love to my cousins! -robin herington gordon- aka squandertime (facebook)

Anonymous said...

this is the same as my family tree my mother is a Harrington (joyce)my cousins have been tracing our blood line back it all stops at osulphus

Unknown said...

Great researching! Osulf of Flimby is one of my great-grandfathers. I am researching the Domesday Book for further information, including several books on Google Books. Takes a ton of digging. From ancient Saxon origins in this family line to the great state of Utah! Unbelieveable!

Anonymous said...

Hi Rob,
Thanks for putting all of this down! Benjamin Harrington b. 1650 m. Elizabeth White are my 9 times great grandparents. I had all of my ancestry dated back to Sir John Harrington b. Aug. 4 1561 but hadn't gone farther than that. Thank you so much for posting all of this information! I wasn't born a Harrington, my great grandmother on my father's, father's side was Sylvia Harrington b. 1877. Very cool to have all of the information you have on each of them.

Unknown said...

Hi, I do not know whether you can help, but someone advised me, that my Wife is connected to the Harrington family. I have looked at your 'bare-bones' family tree and can see no connection, even locationally. If the person is correct, my Wife's 7G Grandfather Silas Bean b1650, in Wyck Rissington, Gloucestershire, England, married Alice Harrington b1655. I estimate that they must have married between 1675 and 1685, but can find no evidence. I know that Alice Bean, was buried in Wyck Rissington, in 1705. Does any of this check out with your information and do any of your Harringtons come from Gloucestershire, England?

Thanks for your help.

Bill Birchall

Unknown said...

Hi, Any chance of a reply to my previous query?

Hi, I do not know whether you can help, but someone advised me, that my Wife is connected to the Harrington family. I have looked at your 'bare-bones' family tree and can see no connection, even locationally. If the person is correct, my Wife's 7G Grandfather Silas Bean b1650, in Wyck Rissington, Gloucestershire, England, married Alice Harrington b1655. I estimate that they must have married between 1675 and 1685, but can find no evidence. I know that Alice Bean, was buried in Wyck Rissington, in 1705. Does any of this check out with your information and do any of your Harringtons come from Gloucestershire, England?

Thanks for your help.

Bill Birchall

Saturday, December 19, 2015 at 1:10:00 PM EST Delete"

?????.. said...

Hey im a harrington by blood didn't know much soo thank you for the info. I been digging and trying to reach out to everone. I want to know where i come from.All i knew was my grandfarther came to the states on a cargo boat or somthing. My name is Frank w harrington 3 having a son of my own. Frank w harrington 4. You can reach me on fb https://m.facebook.com/home.php so cool to know where my family comes from.

Unknown said...

Bill, My name is Jay Belz and I have researched this Harrington family extensively. I don't have the answer that you are looking for at this time, but I will keep an eye out to see I can find anything for you on Alice. This family is huge! I did find an Alice Harrington born in 1651 but she was married to a Daniel Brown. Send me an email when you see this at jaybelz@comcast.net Depending on how soon you respond you may need to remind me of what we are looking for. Good Luck
Jay

Unknown said...

I'm Michael Harrington and I'm stuck on osulph too. Very interesting family tree. I can't wait to learn more.

IAN ROBERTS said...

Hi

Just started on my family tree. My mothers maiden name is Harrington . Her father Clarence born in Sible Hedingham Essex. His father Frank Harrington also born in Sible Hedigham. Frank father was James Harrington born in 1843 Sible Hedingham...stuck now!
The harrington family seem to be around this are for centuries...

Jeremy Lynn said...

Hey there,you guys seem to be stuck
I've cracked the harrington line, and I've traced the ancestors back to at least 1000BC.
My mother was Patricia Herrington/Harrington, child of Herbert Herrington from Texas, I've traced his line all the way back through the harringtons and farther.
If you want more information, I can share what I have with you. Can reach me at jwlynn4@msn.com.

Unknown said...

Hello
I too have Harrington's in my family. Clemence Harrington married John Mansfield (Mandeville) in 1641 in Cambridgeshire. She was from Sible-Hedingham, and her father was Edmund. So I assume Edmund is the son of Robert Harrington, who married Elizabeth Thickness.
I found a birth record for Robert, stating that his father was also Robert. And it is here I am stuck. I am trying to connect these Harringtons to the old family line, leading to Oswulf.
I have seen a tree, stating that this is the line of William Harrington and Margaret Neville, but the dates just don't line up.
Any help will be appreciated. I can be reached at ssharpie61@gmail.com

Daniel T Kennedy said...

Hello, thanks for all the information. Its great. So far most of my information has been taken from a book written in Cambridge NY in 1964 entitled "Ancestry and Decendants of William Harrington or Herrington 1718-1794.

Genealogy is like the Godfather III "Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!. My grandmother was Hazel Mae Harrington born in Washington County NY. Her father was Horace Harrington who some records claim was the adopted son of Simon Harrington. I am trying to verify if this is true. If he was, I guess I'll have to find his parents and start a new branch.

Funny thing is that Horace married my great grandmother Carrie VanOrman whose mother was Louisa Harrington whose father was Michael Harrington. If I follow her line or Simon's line I end up with William Harrington b 1718 in Chepachet Rhode Island and was married to Ann Hamon.

I am working on other families right now but plan on coming back to the Harrington and Oswulf

Unknown said...

My great grandmother was Lille mae herrington . i love tracing back the history and how the name has changed over the years .

Anonymous said...

Hello,

I'm sorry to tell you, but the major part of your tree is based on a myth. John Harington (Harrington) who allegedly married Ann Clinton did not die in Boston, but lived his life in England, studied law, was a member of Parliament & died & was buried in Somerset. Here's his wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Harrington_(died_1654).
And his grave: https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/119829476/john-harington
He did not marry Ann Clinton (alleged daughter of Thomas Clinton) He married Dionysia Ley.
Also, these Harington's are descended from the Haringtons of Brierley in Yorkshire & not the Harington's of Exton Rutland. John Harington of Stepney (father of Sir John Harington of Kelston) is the son of Alexander Harington of Stepney & not John of Exton in Rutland (This is another common mistake.)
Finally, the picture you have for Sir John of Kelston (writer) is of John, 1st Baron Harington of Exton Rutland.
There is currently a Harrington Y-DNA project - you may want to get involved.
Apologies for being so blunt.

Unknown said...

My name is Shelly Harrington. I am from the Benjamin Harrington - 1618-1694 (Herrington/Herrenden) line of Harrington's. From Benjamin my line is as follows:
William Harrington 1660-1727 (mother - Elizabeth White)
Benjamin Harrington 1692 (mother - Esther? and married Hannah Clark)
Zachariah Harrington 1736 (married Maria?)
Jeremiah Harrington 1857 (married Rachel Clarke) Came to Canada at some point
Jacob Harrington 1852 (married Sarah Parliament and died in a damn burst in Hilton Ontario, Canada in 1852)

Any info on this line would be most helpful.

thanks

Unknown said...

shelly Harrington I think your in are line of tree. My dad Thomas Harrington did his family tree before he passed away. We had Benjamin / Zachariah/jeremiah/ Jacob. On are tree. My dad was from county durham England. I no two Harrington brother s left England for America. My grandad was William Harrington. My name is Angela Harrington from Ballymena northern Ireland.

Unknown said...

Nice to meet you Angela. I live in Toronto, Canada. My great x3 gf was Jacob Harrington. Great x2 George Manley Harrington. Can you tell me your line? What info do you have on the two brothers that left England for America. If you have any documents that you would be willing to share my email isshelly.mitchell@rogers.com.

j.c.fuller said...

I am James Fuller of the 12th generation , and I live in New Mexico , USA

Unknown said...

We may have ancestors in common. Ann Bean, Alice Harrington and Silas Bean were all in my family tree. The lineage goes back to my father, William Jack Savage.

Steve Savage
jtullfan1952@gmail.com
6/16/2020

Melody Drayer said...

My grandfather on my mom's side is a Harrington of this same line. I have traced all the way back to BC. My family tree on your list starts with Sir John of Exton and ends with Oswulf. His father's name was
Lord Oswulf "Osulphus" de Haverington, De Hafrinctuna (of Flemingsby) and his mother was
Gunhilda of Northumberland of Dunbar. I have tons of generations after this one. Sir John of Exton was one of my GGFs. I have all the way past all the Vikings in our family. We are actually kin to Ragnar Lodbrok Sigurdsson from the show The Vikings. I am kin to him in several different ways. Also many many kings and even Lady Godiva. lol We have alot of royalty all over our family. Aslaug who was Ragnar's wife in the show is the sister to one of my GGGMs. We are not at all Irish as my family thought.... we are Vikings and some really famous ones. I have so enjoyed finding out all this interesting stuff. If you are interested in more let me know and I can end you my email.

Unknown said...

Melody, My name is Jay Belz and I am also part of this Harrington family. My tree also ends with Osulphus. I would love it if you would share with me those generations back to BC and all the notorious individuals therein. If you would please contact me at jaybelz@comcast.net
I would really appreciate it. Hope to hear from you soon.
Jay